Do you have to apply through uni-assist?
You have to apply online via uni-assist if:
- your school leaving certificate or higher education entrance qualification has not been acquired at a German school or
- not at a school with German Abitur accreditation (examples of school leaving certificates are Abitur, Matura, A-Level, High School Diploma, Baccalauréat and others) or if
- you have the certificate of the Feststellungsprüfung (assessment test, university entrance examination). This certificate is not a German higher education entrance qualification. It is only valid in connection with the school leaving certificate/qualification for university study from your home country.
Please inform yourself regarding the conditions for studying at Fachhochschule Dortmund well in advance (test of aptitude, pre-university work placement etc.).
You do not have to apply via uni-assist
- if you want to apply for a
- if you want to apply for a higher semester in a ; 15 February - 15 March for summer semester and 15 August - 15 September for winter semester,
- if you earned your higher education entrance qualification at a German school or a school with German Abitur accreditation,
- if you are from a Member State of the European Union or from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway*,
- if you are from a Member State outside the European Union but your school leaving certificate is from a state within the European Union or from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway*,
- if you live in Germany and you are not from a Member State of the European Union or from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway but one of your parents or your spouse is a member from these states and lives and works in Germany*,
- if you are already a student of Fachhochschule Dortmund and you want to change your Bachelor's program
- if you already applied for a study program at Fachhochschule Dortmund via uni-assist in the previous 4 years and uni-assist forwarded your application to Fachhochschule Dortmund
- if your school leaving certificate does not entitle you to study directly at a German university. In this case, if you want to study in North Rhine-Westphalia, please apply to the
Ökumenische Studienkolleg Bochum (www.studienkolleg-bochum.de, preparatory course for engineering and science) or to the
luso-brasilian Studienkolleg Mettingen (www.studienkolleg-mettingen.de, preparatory courses for humanities, medicine and biological sciences, engineering and sciences, economics and business studies)
* Please note: application online at Fachhochschule Dortmund.
Where do you apply via uni-assist?
When do you need to apply online via uni-assist?
For summer semester from approximately 15 November to 15 January 15 and for winter semester from approximately 15 April to 15 July. Your online application must be received completely by uni-assist by one of the aforementioned dates (depending on the semester); exception: after 15 January or 15 July exhibited assessment test certificates (Feststellungsprüfungszeugnisse) issued by a Studienkolleg. An application by the deadline is necessary but the certificate (Feststellungsprüfungszeugnis) can be submitted later to uni-assist and/or Fachhochschule Dortmund.
We strongly recommend that you apply to uni-assist as early as possible. Only then there will be time to clarify any queries or to upload further documents.
Applicants, who would like to learn German in advance at language schools in Germany can only apply for the semester in which the desired course is offered – for technical courses e. g. only for the winter semester. In summer semester start only the Bachelor's programs Business Administration and Social Work.
If you want to learn German before starting your studies you have to apply for that semester when the required Bachelor's program is offered - e. g. for technical Bachelor's programs only in winter semester.
How do you apply?
For a restricted Bachelor's program it is important:
The acceptance of study places is to be made in cooperation with (also called Hochschulstart). For the application process you need a BID (Bewerber-Identifikationsnummer) and a BAN (Bewerber-Authentifizierungsnummer). BID and BAN will be assigned from Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung. You will start with your application at uni-assist and use the link on their website or you register at first at Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung and apply afterwards at uni-assist.
The following is important for non-restricted as well as restricted Bachelor's programs:
Please note that Fachhochschule Dortmund does not offer main and minor subjects. You need to apply for programs (Studiengänge) only. If you apply for restricted (Numerus clausus) or non-restricted Bachelor's programs there is no prioritization; for non-restricted Bachelor's programs you always get an admission letter - for restricted Bachelor's programs you only get an admission letter, when it is possible by virtue of your grade(s) in your certificate(s) for university entrance qualification in Germany.
Which application documents need to be uploaded for an online application?
Certificate(s) awarded in your home country that entitle(s) you to study; in some countries it may also include an university entrance examination or proof of successfully passed study years. Certificates need to be submitted in the native language as well as in an officially certified German translation if the originals are not issued in German or English. French documents also have to be translated into German or English. Translations will be accepted from a sworn translator and officially certified from the German embassy. Translations with an official seal do not have to be officially certified, but for translations with a copied seal it is essential.
The last proof of participation in a German course or the certificate about a German exam; due to COVID-19 we accept(ed) for enrollment in summer semester 2021 a confirmation about B2 or C1. Enrolled students have to confirm at the end of the enrollement semester that they achieve(d) the level C1 or one of the acknowledged German exams like DSH 2, TestDaF with 16 points or telc C1 Hochschule – whether it will be the same for winter semester 2021 depends on the situation about COVID-19.
Simple copy of your passport (with last and first name, date of birth etc.)
- Curriculum vitae
- If you are from P.R. of China or Vietnam, you have also to submit one original of the APS certificate (Akademische Prüfstelle) of your home country.
You only apply online to uni-assist without sending certified documents by post. Only at the time of enrollment, you need to present original documents or officially certified documents to Fachhochschule Dortmund.
If you need certified documents for your enrollment, you can get them at the following places: city hall, citizen center, pastorate (church), court or notary. Abroad you can also get them at German embassies or consulates. Not accepted are certifications from health insurance companies, banks, Sparkasse, registered societies and ASTA.
How much is the application fee?
The total depends on the number of Bachelor's study programs:
€75 for the first Bachelor's program and €30 for each additional.
It does not matter how many universities you apply to, only the number of Bachelor's programs counts. Please pay attention: Bachelor's programs with or without an internship semester count as two degree programs.
You apply for the Bachelor's program in computer science, business computer science and business computer science with industrial placement - no matter whether at one, two or three universities; in this case you have to pay a total amount of €135.
How can you pay the application fee?
- You can use transfer voucher of your bank or online banking. Please note that you cannot forward your application to uni-assist without paying the fee. Only once uni-assist has received your money will this be displayed in your "My assist Account" as a balance and you can submit your application. To do this, click on the selection list (box icon) in your "My assist Account" and then on "Checkout".
The bank details are as follows:
account holder: uni-assist e. V.
IBAN: (International bank identification code) DE62 1002 0890 0019 0552 72
BIC/SWIFT code: HYVEDEMM488
For transfers from non-EU-states to Germany you will sometimes be asked for the address of the German bank:
Hypovereinsbank - Filiale Berlin-Charlottenburg, Leibnizstr. 100, D-10625 Berlin
Please indicate: country of origin, date of birth (dd.mm.yyyy), last name, first name, the semester for which you wish to register and the uni-assist application number (if available).
Example: Mongolia, 12.11.2000, Baatur Iwan, WiSe 2021
Transfers in the SEPA area are basically free of charge. For other transfers, bank charges are payable by you.
- By credit card 3D Secure (Visa or Mastercard); paying with 3D Secure provides more security for credit card transactions. You must already be logged in to the 3D Secure process. Sometimes, payments with credit cards from certrain countries may not be accepted by the bank for security reasons. Also transfers may be rejected. If you have questions about 3D Secure and/ or international transactions, please contact your bank.
The application fee has to be completely paid to uni-assist. Any transaction fees have to be paid additionally by yourself. We recommend to use OUR-procedure (sender pays costs) - so you can be sure that you bear the costs and your application will be processed.
What happens after the application has been submitted?
- After assessment of your documents, uni-assist will inform you about the results. If all requirements are fulfilled, you can apply for your visa with the letter from uni-assist. Uni-assist will forward your application electronically to Fachhochschule Dortmund. Fachhochschule Dortmund will send an e-mail concerning the letter of admission for the non restricted Bachelor's programs for winter semester earliest at the end of June/July; for restricted Bachelor's courses you will get it from the Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung (hochschulstart) - for summer semester in the middle of February and winter semester in the beginning August. Refusals will be sent approximately in March or October, also by e-mail.
- In case you do not fulfill formal requirements, it is not possible to return your documents. You have to renew your application for the next possible semester and pay the application fee once more.
- Your data will be saved electronically for a period of four years. It is only available for your chosen universities. After that period the data will be destroyed.
Missed the application deadline?
- (Losverfahren - for restricted programs; you can find the times under the above link) and
- (freie Studienplätze; can be used approximately at the times indicated below: February/March and August/September/October) for non-restricted programs.
You can use this way of application, among others, if
- you missed the deadline for the first semester,
- you are not sure whether your academic performance is sufficient for a higher semester or
- you were not offered a study place in the regular application procedure due to your university entrance qualification grade.
The prerequisite for the lottery procedure is that there are still free study places available after the regular application procedure has been completed.
For the study programs for which an application is still possible under "Free study places", the study places are allocated in the chronological order of the online application.